NYC MOVING STORAGE | BROOKLYN MOVING STORAGE
Consider this situation: Your current lease ends on the last day of the month, and your new lease doesn’t begin until the 3rd, 5th or even the 10th of the next month. What would you do?
First, you’ll need to come up with a place to crash for the days in between. If you have family or friends in Brooklyn or Manhattan (or somewhere else nearby) and they can put you up for a few days, then there’s one problem solved!
The alternative is staying in a hotel for a few days. This can get pricey, depending on the hotel you choose, and living quarters can be cramped, especially if you have small children, but it is a solution. Now you have the chore of figuring out where to store your belongings for the few days. You have a few options for storage:
- Rent a van yourself, pack all your stuff on it, and park it wherever you will be staying. Sounds easy and cheap enough, but you have to consider the time of year you will be making your move. If it is in the heat of summer, it may not be wise to leave your belongings on a stifling truck for a week, give or take.
Also, you have the added concern of someone breaking into the truck and stealing your things. Even if it’s parked in a relatively safe location, you will still worry.
The advantage to leaving your belongings packed on a van for a few days is that you only have to pack and unpack once, which is a major plus to many people who don’t hire NYC movers.
- Store your belongings at a friend’s or relative’s house. Unlike the previous option, this one will require you to unpack your stuff at the person’s house and then repack it onto another truck when moving day actually gets there.
All in all, this isn’t a bad idea, especially if you will be staying with this friend or family member anyway. It’s one of the more inexpensive options that you have, and it comes with built-in help, assuming the person is willing to move boxes for you.
The problem with this solution is that most people, even homeowners in New York City, do not have that much unused storage space. When you think about all your furniture, electronics, clothing and kids toys, you will quickly realize that you will need more space than they can provide.
- Rent a self-storage unit for a month. This really isn’t a bad idea either when you’re in a pinch.
You can probably find a unit that offers a low introductory rate, some of them as low as $1 to $10 for the first month. This is a great deal as long as you do not have to sign a yearly contract where the rates go up much higher.
In this case, you’d still have to get a moving truck, pack your things, move them to the storage unit, move the things into the unit, move them back onto a different truck again in a few days, then move them into your new home when the lease begins….
Does that make you tired just thinking about it?
- You can always beg and plead with your old and new landlords. If groveling is in your wheelhouse, we’d recommend doing that right about now. Get down on your knees, cry if you can, and ask one more time if there’s any way you can stay longer at the old place or move in sooner at the new one.
The answer will still probably be ‘no,’ but it’s worth a shot.
So you have these solutions to the problem of where to keep your stuff during these few days…
But did you know there’s a MUCH BETTER OPTION??
You would be amazed to learn how common it is for renters to have a gap between leases. This is a really big problem for many people because they do not have anywhere to stay for those few days, and they have nowhere to keep their belongings.
TDY Moving and Storage decided that this wasn’t fair to home owners and renters, so we – and many other moving companies in the NYC area – have come up with a helpful solution.
We will store your belongings for you!
That’s right…as part of your moving package, our NYC movers can offer storage services for your personal belongings at our storage facility. We can make this time much less stressful, if you’ll let us! We can pack up your home and move everything to our storage area, then when it’s time for you to move in to the new building, we will pack everything back up and move it to your new home.
Sounds way easier (and a lot less expensive) than those other solutions, doesn’t it?
When you choose our NYC moving company to help you in this situation, the only thing you’ll have to worry about is where you will lay your head on those nights between your leases.
Our goal is to make the moving process as uncomplicated and stress-free as possible for our clients. We have found that this service is one of the most comforting for many of them. Potential customers come to us just shy of full-blown panic many times because they do not realize that we offer this convenient service. When they find out that all their worldly possessions will be safe with us for the duration of their internment, they are 100% relieved!
In the spirit of full disclosure, there are a few things you need to know about our storage facilities:
- They aren’t climate controlled. This isn’t a big deal for most items that are being stored for a couple of reasons: 1) Keeping the items inside our huge facility actually does protect them from extreme temperatures and 2) The items will only be here for a few days anyway. We wouldn’t recommend leaving furniture and other valuable belongings stored this way for years at a time, but we assure you that a few days, weeks or months will not harm them.
- We do not store cars, boats or RVs. We simply don’t have the space in our warehouse to accommodate such large items. Unfortunately, you’re on your own with these, but we can help you find a parking garage or other facility to store these items if the need arises.
Don’t get us confused with a monthly self-storage facility. You literally don’t have to lift a finger when it comes to using TDY Moving and Storage! Our NYC movers do all the heavy lifting on both ends of the move, so you don’t ever have to worry about the where and when of your move. We handle everything!
Besides the two important notes above, we can store just about anything in our storage area to be retrieved a few days or a few weeks later when it’s time to complete your move. Here are some of the most common items we store for our clients:
- Electronics – Electronics can’t be stored for a long time with the batteries in, but computers, video games, stereos and televisions can be tucked away for a few days in our air-tight facility until you are ready to retrieve them.
- Furniture – This one is pretty obvious. Beds, chests of drawers, couches and tables take up a whole lot of space, and they can be very awkward to fit into storage units on your own. Let our NYC movers handle these large pieces so you don’t have to!
- Clothing – Especially for out-of-season clothing, storage is a simple solution. You can keep out a week’s worth of shoes and clothing, then let us pack everything else up. Your clothes will arrive with the rest of your things when your new lease begins.
- Kids’ toys and furniture – Items such as cribs, highchairs and playsets are also large and cumbersome. You can keep a few of your child’s favorite items out and store the rest until the move.
- Appliances – Most of your large appliances probably came with your apartment rental. Chances are, you won’t be storing refrigerators or stoves, but you might have small appliances that need to be stored. This could include microwaves, toaster ovens or space heaters.
- Antiques – Items that do not need very specific temperature parameters can be stored for a few days in our facilities as well. We routinely move paintings, figurines, fine china and other antiques for our clients, and we guarantee that your belongings will be well-cared-for in our storage facility.
- Business equipment – If you work from home or have business-related equipment at home, you will need somewhere to store these things if you do not need them every single day. Files and equipment like telephones, printers and fax machines can be packed up and stored easily.
TDY Moving and Storage wants to make your transition to your new home as easy as can be. By storing your belongings for a few days – even up to a month – our NYC movers can take a lot of the stress of moving off of you and your family. While it may be inconvenient for your stuff to be packed away, you’ll be grateful for all the money you are saving in the meantime!